Monday, November 1, 2010

The Great Pumpkin Chase

To celebrate Halloween we decided to decorate with the traditional carved pumpkin, so it was off to a pumpkin patch in search of the great pumpkin.  We tried to find a pumpkin patch that had more to offer than just stuff for kids.  We ended up going to the Irvine Regional Park for a hay ride, maze, pictures, and food.  Unfortunately, a day before we went I came down with tonsillitis.  I wasn't feeling really well, but I decided to tough it out and make the most of the season.  We weren't able to do the hay ride as the line was too long, but we were able to do the maze, take a bunch of pictures, and find a pumpkin.




 



After finding the great pumpkin it was time to carve it.  We bought a kit which made it really easy.  We selected a design and then since I am the arts and crafts one, Mitchell decided to let me carve it.  Surprisingly, it didn't take long to carve and it turned out better than I thought it would!!  After carving, we decided to roast the pumpkin seeds.  Mitchell cleaned and boiled them and then we left them out over night to dry.  The next day I seasoned them and put them in the oven.  I didn't expect them to be very good, but they turned out to be super delicious!!  They were so good they only lasted a couple of hours before they were gone.  Yum!!  This is the first year we really had trick or treaters and we were excited to pass out candy.  We even had more trick or treaters than I thought we would.  My favorite costume was a two year old little boy in a giants uniform with the notorious Brian Wilson black beard.  It was really cute and very creative!!!  I am pretty sure the dad was more excited about the costume than the kid was about the candy.  It was Classic!!!  Well, Happy Halloween!!!

1 comment: